140 YEAR ANNIVERSARY
Belmond Grand Hotel Europe has always been rooted in the cultural landscape of St Petersburg. With influential guests such as Tchaikovsky and Pavarotti, its association with music, dance and literature has always remained strong.
Located in the heart of the city on Nevsky Prospekt and Mikhailovskaya Ulitsa, Belmond Grand Hotel Europe is renowned as a luxury hotel and cultural landmark in St Petersburg.
Italian architect Carlo Rossi used an impressive Neo-Baroque façade to combine neighbouring properties dating back to the 1820s to create one magnificent building for the Evropeyskaya Hotel Company. This opened as Hotel de l’Europe in 1875. The beautiful Art Nouveau designs still enjoyed today were introduced by Swedish-Russian architect Fyodor Lidval at the turn of the century.
From the First World War to post-revolutionary times, the building has been a hospital, orphanage and government offices. Thanks to careful and extensive renovation between 1989 and 1991, the building was restored to its former Neo-Baroque and Art Nouveau glory and re-opened as Grand Hotel Europe. The building is now classified as a historical monument.
The 28 January 2015 marks the day Belmond Grand Hotel Europe opened its front doors for the first time exactly 140 years ago. The hotel will celebrate this milestone in grand style throughout the year.