Fables of the Hills
7 Days / 6 Nights, from US$9,200 per person
Travel in South East Asia on an extended journey from Singapore to Bangkok. Visit Kuala Lumpur, Cameron Highlands, Penang, Tham Kasae Viaduct and the River Kwai.
Itinerary & Timetable
- Arrive independently at Raffles Hotel for a complimentary overnight stay in a Courtyard Suite.
- Please note: The Eastern & Oriental Express departure date indicated above is after your complimentary stay at the hotel.
- Join your fellow guests for breakfast in the Tiffin Room.
- Enjoy a private check-in at the hotel before joining the train.
- A cool drink is served as you settle into your luxurious cabin.
- The train travels over the causeway, into Malaysia and out into the countryside.
- Make your way to the Bar Car for a cocktail reception.
- Later, enjoy dinner in one of the opulent dining cars and listen to the resident pianist play nostalgic melodies in the Bar Car.
- After breakfast, the train arrives at the Mughal-style Kuala Lumpur Railway Station.
- Explore the area through a choice of activities, including a city tour, heritage walking tour or visit to the National Museum. Full details of available tours are provided on board.
- Return to the train at midday for lunch.
- After arriving at Tapah Station, disembark for a coach transfer to the exclusive Cameron Highlands Resort.
- Enjoy the two-hour scenic drive over the hills, through dense jungle.
- Upon arrival, sip cocktails and savour dinner while enjoying the fabulous views from Malaysia’s most celebrated hill retreat.
- After a leisurely breakfast at the resort, choose from a variety of tours and activities (full details will be provided).
- Spend the morning being pampered at the famed Spa Village or visit the Best of Highlands tea plantation for a guided walk through the fragrant tea gardens. Other options include a trip to the Agro Technology Park to discover the array of fruits, vegetables and flowers grown in the Highlands.
- Break for lunch at the resort before travelling to Ipoh to reboard the train.
- Relax with an aperitif in the Bar Car before dinner is served.
- Begin the day with a tour of the charming royal city of Kuala Kangsar, home to the Sultan of Perak.
- Visit the Victorian-era Royal Museum (the former Royal Palaces) and Ubudiah Mosque.
- After lunch on board, travel across Bukit Merah Lake to the western coast of Malaysia, arriving at Butterworth Station for your transfer to Penang Island. Excursions include a colonial Georgetown tour and trips to Peranakan Heritage Museum and the Tropical Spice Garden Gallery.
- At sunset, gather at the Eastern & Oriental Hotel for cocktails before heading to your choice of venue for some of the best dining in Penang.
- After dinner, return to the train to continue your journey.
- During the early hours of the morning, the train crosses into Thailand at Padang Besar.
- Enjoy scenic views of southern Thailand as the train passes paddy fields and golden temples.
- Lunch is served on board before your arrival into Surat Thani, an agricultural town known for its plentiful fruits and oysters.
- The train continues its journey through the Thai countryside towards Bangkok, with dinner served on board.
- Disembark at the River Kwai Bridge for a morning cruise along the gorge on a barge, with time to visit the Thailand-Burma Railway Museum and Don Rak War Cemetery.
- Reboard the train for lunch as you cross the historic bridge and the famous trestles at the Tham Kasae viaduct, heading towards Wang Po.
- Choose from an excursion to an elephant camp, where you may even get to ride one, or the memorial at the Hell Fire Pass Museum.
- Join the Train Manager for a farewell cocktail reception, followed by dinner.
- Arrive in Bangkok.
Please Note: All timings shown on this website are for your guidance only. Confirmed timings will be supplied with your travel documents. Please ensure you bring your travel documents on the day of your journey.
For further information or assistance in choosing your journey, please call us on
You may also like
7 days/6 nights
Tales of Laos
4 days/3 nights
Bangkok - Bangkok
New Year Celebration 2014
December 2014 - December 2015
4 days/3 nights
Singapore - Kuala Lumpur - Bangkok