New Year's Celebration Cruise, Belmond Orcaella
12 Days / 11 Nights, from US$7,900 per person
Ring in the New Year in style with an unforgettable cruise on Belmond Orcaella through this mesmerising land.
Itinerary & Timetable
- Board Belmond Orcaella and cruise on the Ayeyarwady River towards northern Myanmar.
- A stop at Mingun includes a visit to the world's largest brick-built pagoda and the biggest uncracked bell.
- This evening you’ll get to know fellow travellers at the welcome dinner.
- Disembark at Nwe Nyein for a guided walking tour and a chance to meet artisans sculpting traditional clay pots.
- Later, sail past the picturesque island pagoda of Thihadaw before enjoying a cocktail party on the top deck.
- Spend the morning strolling around the delightful village of Kyan Hnyat. Children greet you on their way to school and the market begins bustle with activity.
- As Belmond Orcaella continues its voyage, you can admire the rural villages dotted along the shore.
- Visit Katha by trishaw and take in the market made famous by George Orwell in Burmese Days.
- In the afternoon, small boats take you ashore to the port of Shwegu and beyond to experience life in a typical riverside Shan village.
- As the cruise continues, relax and admire the green-clad mountains reaching down to the narrowing channel. Travel past logging camps and the old colonial village of Zinbon.
- The ship drops anchor off Bhamo. Visit the town centre and enjoy the vibrant activity of this tribal meeting point.
- Begin the day with a tour of picturesque Shwe Paw Island and its ancient pagodas.
- Your journey then takes you on to the riverside village of Moe Dar where you’ll witness a traditional noviciation ceremony.
- In the early morning, board a train to the forest station of Naba and journey into the thick Kachin jungle and teak forest.
- Enjoy a leisurely afternoon gliding towards Kyan Hnayt, and end the day with a refreshing cocktail on the Top Deck.
- This morning the ship anchors at Thabeikkyin.
- A winding road will lead you past a lush forestry reserve to Mogok, where you’ll meet elephants working in the teak forests.
- Mandalay comes into view in the early morning.
- Disembark for a tour of Myanmar’s second city, including lunch at a local restaurant.
- Rejoin the ship at the quaint village of Shwe Kyet Yet and enjoy a tribal dance performance in the evening.
- Spend the day gazing at the passing scenery as the ship continues towards Bagan.
- This evening take in the unforgettable sunset over the Bagan plain and enjoy a magical performance by traditional Bagan artists.
- Visit the ancient sites in and around Bagan with an expert guide.
- In the afternoon you may choose to join a tour of Mount Popa—the legendary home of animist spirits known as Nats—with its impressive summit monastery. Or take a horse-drawn cart or a bicycle to explore on your own.
- Celebrate your final evening on board at this evening’s cocktail party, and say goodbye to your new friends during the Farewell Dinner.
- Transfer to Bagan airport for your flight to Yangon.
Please Note: All timings shown on this website are for your guidance only. Confirmed timings will be supplied with your travel documents. Please ensure you bring your travel documents on the day of your journey.
For further information or assistance in choosing your journey, please call us on
You may also like
Discovering the Chindwin River, Belmond Orcaella
July 2014 - September 2014
12 days/11 nights
Mandalay - Monywa - Homalin - Bagan
Gorges of the Far North, Belmond Orcaella
November 2014 - November 2015
12 days/11 nights
Mandalay - Bhamo - Bagan
Jewels of the Ayeyarwady, Belmond Orcaella
April 2014 - December 2014
8 days/7 nights
Yangon - Pyay - Bagan
The Ayeyarwady Experience, Belmond Orcaella
October 2014 - November 2015
8 days/7 nights
Bagan - Pyay - Yangon