Belmond Sanctuary Lodge operates an agriculture school on its own land where individuals from 12 disadvantaged neighbouring communities learn farming techniques and grow vegetables, which the hotel purchases at fair trade prices.
In order to maintain our environment, the Lodge:
- Uses electricity instead of diesel
- Purifies discarded water so any released into the surroundings is 100% clean
- Plants only endemic flora in the gardens
- Uses of biodegradable products
- Sells only glass bottles and cans, no plastic
Becoming environmentally friendly is an ongoing process and we are aware that this is just the beginning.
Please help us by:
- Not removing stones, flowers, etc. from the ruins or the surrounds
- Not leaving any rubbish behind and leaving the area clean for others to enjoy
- Not buying any handicrafts or artifacts manufactured with feathers, animal skins or flowers that are protected or endangered
- Not fishing
- Not smoking inside the park—this is to avoid fire hazards