Environment and Safety
Machu Picchu Sanctuary Lodge is an eco-lodge. In an effort to protect the surrounding environment we have implemented a green policy and put in place the following:
- Conversion of the kitchen from diesel to electricity.
- Installation of a water purification system - as a result, any water released into the surroundings is 100% clean.
- Use of recycled paper.
- Separation of garbage for recycling.
- Replanting of the gardens with only endemic flora.
- Use of biodegradable products in all areas.
- We no longer sell plastic bottles, only glass bottles and cans.
Becoming environmentally friendly is an ongoing process and we are aware that this is just the beginning. To be effective we ask our guests to respect our policy during their stay and also for any suggestions and feedback.
- Please refrain from removing stones, flowers, etc. from the ruins or anywhere else in the Sanctuary.
- Please do not leave any rubbish behind and leave the area clean for others to enjoy.
- Refrain from buying any handicrafts or artifacts manufactured with feathers, animal skins or flowers that are protected or endangered.
- Fishing is not allowed.
- Smoking is not allowed inside Machu Picchu due to fire hazards. Any cigarette butts are to be placed in the garbage bins.
For your Safety
We recommend that you notify the authorities of the INC (Instituto Nacional de Cultura) at the entrance of the ruins if you are planning to make any hikes. Please do not go out alone, the chance of getting lost is very high.
For your Comfort
Carry enough drinking water, wear comfortable shoes, take insect repellent and sun block with you. Keep at least one set of dry clothes at the Lodge.